Lisa Mux at Blogging Blue gave us a good report on what transpired in the courtroom today. What stood out to me most was Lisa's descriptions of the judge in the case, J. Mac Davis. At this point it seems prudent to provide some of the following background information on Judge Davis.
- Son of a former Republican Congressman
- Republican State Senator (1982-1990)
- Ranking Republican on the Joint Finance Committee for 5 years
- Unsuccessfully ran for Congress in 1996. He lost in the Republican primary to Tom Reynolds (yes, that Tom Reynolds)
- Testified for former Speaker Scott Jensen, during his first criminal trial
- At the end of George W. Bush's last term Davis was nominated to the Western District of Wisconsin bench but was never confirmed
Now don't get it twisted. I'm not saying that a judge with this kind of long partisan background can't make a sound legal decision. But I am wondering what kind of pressures he will face with such a politically charged case in a totally toxic environment. But just in case Judge Davis decides to go all Republican activist on us, (maybe he has already) I just thought that you should at least meet him first.