Today Tammy Baldwin addressed the Wisconsin members of American Disabled Veterans. Tommy Thompson was at the event dodging questions about revitalizing Wisconsin's VA facilities. After he spoke his handlers continued their practice of rushing him out with members of the media in hot pursuit.
Tommy Thompson has proposed a 5% across the board cut. That would translate into a $6.48 billion cut from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, just when Wisconsin veterans are coming home and need our support the most. This is even more disgusting when you consider the fact that Tommy supports doing this while also cutting taxes for millionaires. Perhaps Republicans are trying to overcompensate for this in their over-the-top press releases today.
Although Republican parody press releases attempt to create an absolute fiction, Tammy Baldwin has a clear record of standing up for veterans.
- In 2002, Tammy introduced the Dr. James Allen Disabled Veterans Equity Act. After years of fighting Washington gridlock, it was signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2007.
- Baldwin introduced the Veterans Jobs Act to involve local community business leaders in an additional effort to help returning service members find jobs in the private sector.
- Tammy was also a strong supporter of President Obama’s Returning Heroes Tax Credit, which gives businesses that hire unemployed veterans a credit of up to $5,600 per veteran. She also supported the Wounded Warriors Tax Credit, which gives businesses that hire veterans with service-related disabilities a credit of up to $9,600 per veteran.
- Tammy also supported the VOW to Hire Heroes Act which also expands veterans’ training and education, and helps guide them through the federal jobs application process.
- Baldwin supported the Post 9/11 GI Bill Of Rights for the 21st Century, the largest expansion of veterans’ education benefits since the enactment of the original GI Bill in 1944.
- Baldwin also introduced the Make Our Veterans Smile Act. This legislation would expand dental coverage to all veterans enrolled with the VA who have received a Purple Heart.
“Tammy is committed to keeping the sacred trust we hold with members of our nation’s military. She has fought to expand and improve care and benefits for Wisconsin veterans and their families and will continue fighting as our next U.S. Senator.” -Veteran Anthony HardieAnd given all of this context to the contrary, Republicans are still trying to defame Tammy Baldwin on this issue? That act is despicable but it has come to be expected. After all, we are dealing with people that have chosen the lowest road campaign that special interest money can buy.